Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Motorcyclist


A man's face is splattered on I-35,
teeth ground into a paste
of flour and mashed cranberries.

He's left a trail of Château Pétrus
500 feet long
leading up to his cracked bucket of hair
pink grub worms, exposed, crawling and falling,
looking for a place to hide.
But instead they are spill on the pavement,
forced from  dark bowl of bone
into  light, scattering, blind, drying.

I stop and stare.
It is my turn now
I waited almost a full half hour in the queue
along the cement backbone.

Perhaps I should have taken the train.
But I like his stain,
which will always be in this lane.

Anyway,
the sun is shining on my face
and it’s a good day.


1 comment:

  1. If I didn't believe in online dating, I'd ask you to marry me. Perfect poem.

    ReplyDelete